8/04/2018

What Makes Me Toxic + Other Habits I Want to Change

Toxic Habit #1: I'm not as forgiving or as patient as I should be sometimes. Life has taught me the hard way multiple times that I have to be more understanding and just gain some sense of awareness of other people's feelings, whether if they admit them to me or not.

Toxic Habit #2: I expect people to act in a way that pleases me or say everything that I want to hear personally. It's like the more my ego gets hurt by people's harsh criticism, the less secure and comfortable I feel on the inside. However, I realize that with every piece of criticism I get in my personal life, I need to just learn from it and then move on with life. Dwelling on my own negative thoughts- or on other people's negativity- just takes up a lot of wasted energy. 

Now this is not so much a toxic habit I have, but I do feel like this is a general habit that I'd like to change: relying on other people to help protect my sense of insecurity. Another habit I'd also like to change is my own views of myself. Sometimes how I see myself isn't always the truest form of who I am- what I mean by that is if you're insecure like me and struggle with seeing your best features, those who'll know that best will either be your closest friends or your family.

Confidence is something I've really struggled with since entering my 20s, but I want to start making changes again. Life is hard sometimes and it won't always give you the kind of treatment you want for yourself. At the same time however, you have to stand up for yourself and speak your mind so that people won't walk all over you, hurt you or take advantage of you. You need to be your own best friend first in order to survive sometimes, and other times, you'll have to walk away either from yourself or from other people who don't bring out the best in you. At the very core of it though, it all just depends on the situation. Everybody's life is different and you just have to find a way to effectively deal with whatever's thrown at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment