2/05/2020

Capsule Wardrobe Guide: Work Wear Essentials

To be honest, this is all going to vary depending on your workplace’s dress code, so I’m going to whittle this list down to two different categories: business casual and business formal. Within each list, I’ll be sharing some pieces that I wear on the daily at my job. Feel free to tailor these suggestions to your own personal style if your occupation gives you room for creativity.

Business Casual:

1. Basic T-shirt (white, black or grey)
2. Black jeans
3. Dress pants- I personally have 4 pairs of dress pants, and the colors I’ve chosen are all very versatile (maroon, khaki, navy blue and black).
4. Sneakers
5. Blazer- I have one in black and another in khaki, but if you’re allowed to wear something other than those options, then go ahead.

Business Formal:

1. Blazer or suit combo- if you go for a suit with a skirt, make sure it follows the rules and guidelines of what’s appropriate. Of course, suits can be mixed and matched to your own style if your profession allows it. If you’re unsure in any way and have already talked to your boss, I recommend that you go with dress pants and a blazer as that’s the safest option. 
2. Dress pants
3. Collared shirt
4. Heels or pumps
5. Tote bag

Styling Tips:
One thing that I’ve found helpful with my options is to go for colors that are either neutral or versatile. Maroon goes with a lot of lighter colors, but if you style it with another color, make sure that it doesn’t clash or compete with your base color. Black and white are fail safes as they can go with literally anything.

If you work in a business formal environment, you don’t have to go all out with your budget just to look stylish and professional. Something as simple as popping your collar out of your blazer or sweater can help you stand out a little. Also, don’t be afraid to mix up simple basic pieces with more casual options if your workplace allows it. I think a white button down shirt paired with a sweater would look good on anybody; I also think pairing a brown belt with black jeans or dress pants if they have belt loops would look nice.

When working the classic work tote, you can either go with black or brown as those options go with a lot of different looks. I personally have a navy blue tote with gold detailing that I sometimes use if I need to carry more, but of course, my workplace is pretty relaxed, so I don’t need it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment