11/25/2018

Random Thoughts About YouTube

My YouTube viewing experience has gone from someone who once was addicted to now someone who uses the platform for inspiration and connection. I enjoy finding people who either make content to inspire other people's creativity or people who just have good, genuine personalities. I enjoy finding people who I can either share my thoughts with or that I can just be entertained by. 

I feel like my standards for who I want to keep in my watch list are becoming higher these days- either that, or I just get bored after a certain amount of time. If I'm just not into someone's content anymore, I'll unsubscribe. If my values start to change and that turns me away from a person's channel, then I'll unsubscribe from that as well. 

So I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way, but I feel like the fashion/beauty world on YouTube is toxic in some ways. Certain fashion/beauty bloggers eventually just end up climbing that social ladder and will unapologetically indulge in expensive designer labels and if I'm being honest, I just don't see the fun in that. The problem however is not with the constant stream of sponsorships or advertisements from high end brands I don't care to throw my money towards, but with the amount of people who blindly walk into a subject without any sort of awareness of how or where these textiles/clothing items are being made. So because of that, I just feel more strongly about slow/sustainable fashion. 

YouTube in general from my point of view is probably limited because I'm not a creator. I don't have that understanding sometimes when it comes to why people compare others' successes in numbers to whatever numbers they don't have (even though I feel like that shouldn't matter at all to be honest). It's this hidden mental/emotional problem that not many content creators talk about, and even if they do and it gets uploaded, the reaction can sometimes be negative. Now I'll admit that I have been part of that negative stigma, but I'm not going to sit on any high horse here and say that I know better than those who are actually making the content because I just don't. I do respect the amount of hard work and dedication that some of these creators have because I do realize that not everybody is going to get lucky in life and just become successful overnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment