5/03/2019

How I Got Into Slow Fashion & My Personal Style

For most of my early 20’s, my shopping habits were wasteful in more ways than one. Be it, I still shop at fast fashion places on occasion, but that’s only because of budget reasons. I want to say that the first video I watched on slow fashion was something that the blogger Lavendaire posted where she explains into more detail what goes on behind the doors of most fast fashion businesses. From there, I decided to watch more, but I still wasn’t taking it all that seriously when it comes to my shopping habits and decluttering my own wardrobe. 

When I first stumbled across Signe Hansen’s channel Use Less, I was immediately inspired by the idea of capsule wardrobes and doing more with less. Mistakes were made in the process for me as I adapted to this more restrictive mindset that didn’t feel like my own. That, plus the clothes I had didn’t match my lifestyle as most of what I had was either too dressy or too casual. It took me some time to figure out what my personal style really is, but once I did with the help of Erin Elizabeth (a lifestyle blogger based in Canada), I suddenly felt less stressed and more confident with what I was doing. 

I feel like it takes a lot of trial and error to really find your personal style. The thing about style though is that it’s going to continually change as you get older, but if you stick to clothing items you know you love and feel good in, then the rest won’t matter. There’s really no “one size fits all” approach to style as it’s going to look different on everyone, so even if people say you should wear this color or that pattern, you can still do what works best for you. Knowing this has helped me a lot because while I still enjoy color, I also have enough basics to even it out. 

So for me personally, I’d say that my style is a touch feminine, comfortable and classic. I like experimenting with color, but some days, I actually prefer a more basic look, especially for work. The only time you’ll see me in all out comfy and casual clothes is when I’m at home, like shorts or sweatpants and a t-shirt. Now when it comes to accessorizing, I mainly go for minimal and effortless touches. However; if I’m wearing an outfit that’s more neutral or basic, I’d typically spice up that up with a statement bag or necklace. Now this doesn’t happen all that often outside of work, but I do love a good jeans, t-shirt and blazer combo. I think wearing that with a simple necklace and stud earrings would look good together, or even a pair of statement earrings if you’re into that. 

So whether if you’ve only relied on one resource or multiple resources like me, I feel that there’s a lot you can do to be creative with your style when owning less. Shopping your own closet can be fun, especially if you feel like you’re in a rut and you don’t know what to wear. I personally love trying on different outfit combinations with what I already have, and I usually approach this by selecting one top I want to wear more often and pairing it with everything I have. This may sound time consuming, so perhaps you might want to try a styling app of some sort, but using the try-on approach is what works best for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment