4/24/2019

The Capsule Wardrobe: My Insights and Tips

Ever since I paired down what I have in my wardrobe, I've felt a lot more free with what I can wear and how creative I can get with what I already have. And if you've noticed the posts on my Instagram (@amyhoover9), you can tell how much I love coming up with new outfit combinations.

The first tip I'd recommend if you're wanting to get into this whole thing of capsule dressing is to declutter. Find out what it is you love and what you're turning to most often, and once you've discarded the rest, evaluate what's left. Do you think you could use some more basic pieces? Is your wardrobe lacking in more occasion wear or seasonal options? Are there some pants or other bottoms that you could have more or less of?

When I first got into the capsule wardrobe system, I didn't really know where to start, so I just jumped right into it without a plan. Because of me doing things that way, I ended up giving away too much. However, I thankfully had enough time to take back the things that I wasn't ready to give up before the rest was donated. Because of this mistake I made, I now see the importance of having a plan thought out and written down.

I'd say the second mistake I made in this process last year was not taking the time to actually see what was missing once I decluttered my wardrobe. I thought that I'd be able to just know right off the bat, but I realize now that it's all about seeing what works best for you and what fits your lifestyle. Erin Elizabeth's videos have really helped me to hone in on this in particular as she explains how to find your personal style and how your wardrobe reflects your lifestyle (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu2phwAzHVk). Now in addition to what's said in the video, I'd like to point out that finding your dream closet doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you're tight on money or if you don't have a lot of it to begin with. One of the easiest and most cost-effective places to shop for clothing is at your local thrift store, so if you have one near you, then that'll make the process better for you and for the environment in the long run. Now keep in mind that this process will take time, so one thing to consider is to gather up inspiration through Pinterest first, or even through other apps that are similar (Cladwell has been somewhat effective for me in the past). I've done this a lot with certain clothing items I know I need, and once I've gotten a good idea, I'll start browsing on different online shops to see what they have.

I do believe that there's a lot more opportunity for creativity when you have a capsule wardrobe, plus it makes getting dressed in the morning a lot less stressful. One quote that comes into my head with this concept sometimes (which I found on Pinterest) is that fashion is what you buy, style is what you do with it. I hope that these tips and guidelines can help inspire or motivate you to working on your dream wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment