2/26/2019

Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

I've always been aware of Queen as a band, but I never knew much about them or their music. I only really knew one or two of the biggest hits as they were commonly searched up on Spotify, iTunes or YouTube. When I watched this movie however this past holiday season, I was totally enamored. 

Rami Malik, while he probably wouldn't have been my first choice to portray Freddie Mercury, did an amazing job considering the "role" he had to play. Freddie's personality is something I never got to witness in person as I wasn't born yet, but nonetheless, if he was alive, I feel like he would be proud of Rami's efforts. 

Of course, one can't go without mentioning all the music that was packed into this musical documentary of sorts. We Will Rock You, Another One Bites The Dust, Somebody to Love, and of course, Bohemian Rhapsody are just the few of the many songs that were selected to be in this movie and I honestly enjoyed hearing them all. It's no question that this band was very versatile with their sound as they continued to make music and reach success. 

This may not come as a surprise to anyone who's an avid Queen fan, but I personally found it to be a surprise that Freddie suffered and eventually died from AIDS. What I will say though that doesn't surprise me is that he was able to bring together so many people through the band's music. Some of the music may not have made sense at the time, and it's no question that Bohemian Rhapsody in particular held that kind of view from some of the public, but I would say that it's the best six minutes of enjoyment for anyone who's a big lover of music in general or of Queen in particular. 

So overall, I'd say that this movie deserves all the high praise it gets as it honors Freddie's legacy as well as the band's success in a good light. All of Queen's original band members seemed like good people with good hearts and a simple message to just make music that people will love and enjoy. Some people may not enjoy all of their music and that's fine, but for me personally, I'd say I've become more of a respectable fan now because of this movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment