8/10/2019

My Minimalism Journey (part 2): Mental Health

I feel like minimalism at its core is this practice of living with intention and meaning. Once you've reduced your belongings to only what's necessary for you, it gives you more freedom to accomplish what actually matters to you.

I was in a pretty frazzled state last year during the summer. I had gotten home from job training school and felt anxious, stressed and a little depressed. I felt like I wasn't my best self which really put me in a bad place. The relationship I've had with YouTube up until recent months is that I used it as a way to escape. I wanted to escape reality and get lost from the noise inside my head. When I first got into minimalism, I didn't plan anything out, so when I first started decluttering, I did a lot of things out of emotion and impulse.

When I think back on this now, I realize that combining minimalism with the KonMari method is what worked best for me as I continued on this journey of sorts. Once I had decluttered what was unnecessary to me, I slowly started to work on my mental health. When I was at the job training school, I was able to take that first step as the place had a psychologist there that I could talk to for free. The time I spent there talking to him was definitely helpful, but I think what has resonated with me the most since then is just being aware of my habits and how my mind works.

With me living at home, I try my best to keep myself active and entertained in a way that feels balanced and natural. I've learned a lot since the start of last summer, but it wasn't easy by any means. I've lost touch with quite a few people, but I'm okay with that. I enjoy my alone time as well as being around my family and two cats. I enjoy writing on my blog, and I enjoy my job at Goodwill. Whenever I have a day off, I typically like to spend it by creating more prompts for me to share on my blog. I also still listen to music often, and I also have a deep love for anime. I also enjoy fashion and sharing the different outfits I come up with on social media.

I'd say I've come a long way since last year, or even four years ago. I do still go to counseling every two weeks for general check-ups and other issues that I might want to talk about. It does help, knowing that I have someone to talk to whenever I need it. The coping mechanisms I have now versus last year definitely seem to have a better impact on me. Be it, I do still get emotional or impulsive on occasion, but I try to be accepting of that because I know I'm not perfect. Most things in life I've learned are best done in moderation. You don't have to be strict all the time, but if you're too lenient with yourself, then you won't be making any progress. So all in all, I feel like I've finally achieved a balance that works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment