5/10/2020

My Fitness Routine

As easy as it is to talk about being healthy or getting more exercise, it’s more important to actually put effort into that and finding a routine that works for you. I know and understand from personal experience how hard to just get started or to “find motivation”, but you kind of just have to push yourself into doing the thing no matter what.

So if this wasn’t known already, I wasn’t always heavy in the hips or stomach. Obviously I try to practice body positivity as well as keeping myself healthy, but before my body became more filled out in my late teens, I was very skinny. The cause of this was my hyperactive thyroid/metabolism.



Exercise has always been a struggle for me, and when I came home from secondary school last year, I had to put my mental/emotional health first before I could start focusing on my physical health. I took two approaches when I first started out, which is YouTube and Pinterest. I binge watched other people starting up their routines for the New Year, and I also tried to find additional yoga poses or cardio sequences on Pinterest. Looking back, I realize that while I was able to maintain some sort of a routine, I didn’t allow myself to have a rest day after several days of working out. I also remember feeling pressured to keep up because of my goal to lose weight.

So what exactly does my routine look like? I personally like to keep things open and flexible as I’ll sometimes switch up what I do. One day, I may focus on sitting poses while mixing in leg-centered cardio. Another day, I may focus on my chest and shoulders and add in yoga poses that help improve my balance. In another day or two, I might just do some mindfulness practice, sitting on the floor and focus on meditation. This way, I can get that full body workout and feel good about it. I usually try to keep this up two days a week or even three if I’m feeling extra motivated, but of course, I like to keep my days balanced out so that I’m not doing too much at once.



I’ve been doing yoga for a little over a year now, and I honestly can’t see myself going without it for two weeks or even a month. There’s all sorts of routines and poses that can help improve a variety of issues, but of course, don’t risk it if your body won’t allow you to, or if you have some other condition that makes it hard for you to be active. I personally have found that the biggest benefits of yoga is mental clarity, flexibility, balance, improved muscle strength and endurance. I always feel better after I’ve taken the time to implement this kind of self-care, and because of that, I personally believe that almost anybody can do this. You just have to find what works for you and start off small. It’s not worth it if you take on too much at once or constantly worry about keeping your body slim or fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment