8/16/2020

Capsule Wardrobe Guide: Occasion Wear Staples

So while I still love and use the capsule wardrobe system, I don’t really have a separate occasion wear capsule within my wardrobe. There’s really no specific reason for why, but there are two things I’ve learned throughout this process. The first one is finding pieces that fit within your lifestyle, and the second is all about versatility. 

Dresses come in a big range of different styles, colors and patterns, but I personally find it’s best to know your lifestyle before you start making any purchases. Once you’ve gone through that process and have decluttered what isn’t working, you can then start to slowly add new pieces that’ll work for more than one occasion. I personally find that red and black are the most universally flattering colors for special occasions; I have both of these colors myself within my own wardrobe. 


This probably won’t be much of a surprise, but having one pair of heels is considered a standard essential for special occasions. Now of course, if you just don’t feel comfortable in heels, flats or low heeled pumps can work just as well. In all honesty, even if you don’t like high heels, most heels do come in a variation of different heights. So while stilettos may not be the most practical footwear to be wearing, you can easily find a heel height that’s closer to the ground, like one or two inches at most; I personally try to keep my heel height at 1 ½ or 2 inches. 


So if you’re not a dress person, a nice pair of trousers or a skirt can work just as well. I personally would go with black as that color can work with just about anything, but of course, you can use whatever colors you want based on your personal style and color preferences. 

When styling a skirt, you can either pair it with a basic t-shirt or with a simple blouse. The choices here are honestly endless, but for my taste personally, I think wearing a black or navy blue skirt with a white t-shirt and some heels would look great together; throw in a gold pendant necklace, some subtle earrings and a statement clutch and you have a complete outfit. 


I personally believe that one’s personal style can be best expressed through accessories, and when it comes to putting together a special occasion outfit, you can really be as bold or subtle as you want. I’d also say that makeup can be a great tool for self expression, and you can be as colorful as you want with that option. I’m not much into makeup myself, but I do love to infuse color with different handbags, or with my jewelry. 


As always, I hope reading this is helpful to you in some way. And like I mentioned in the beginning, it really does help if you can learn and understand your lifestyle first before buying things brand new to add into your wardrobe. How often do you go to fancy dinners or formal events? Would it honestly be appropriate to wear that fancy, form fitting cocktail dress to a casual, family gathering? These are just a couple questions you could ask yourself, but I’ll leave the rest up to you to decide. Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment