3/03/2021

Shopping Secondhand: Graceworks vs. Goodwill

For this week’s post, I thought I’d move onto thrift stores that I’m able to shop at in my area. I’m sure that there’s a Goodwill in almost every state here in the US, so at this point, I feel like they’re more commercialized than other thrift stores, but nonetheless, you can still find some unique items there if you look carefully.  


Goodwill has been in business for many years, and their sole mission is to help change lives through the power of work. This means that for every donation bag that they receive, those donations help their workers to earn a paycheck and make ends meet. In the case that one of these donation centers becomes too crowded or is overflowing with piles of donations, the excess of what doesn’t get processed will get shipped to other stores across each district. 


So with all of that being said, I personally feel like Goodwill does get great quality items, and I would know firsthand that the employees are all very friendly. Like any other thrift store, you kind of have to appreciate the hunt and take your time finding what you want. The better quality an item is, the quicker chance it has of leaving the store right away. For this reason, I personally would rather avoid bargain hunts and just stick to my own list of essentials. Now out of the times I’ve shopped at Goodwill, I’ve always been able to find the things I need or want. Sometimes I’d even get lucky and will find something that fits perfectly. 


Now unlike Goodwill, Graceworks is entirely non-profit and is open to the public for volunteer positions. You could also try and become a paid staff member, but I think there’s more involved if you’re wanting a position like that. I remember volunteering there in my late teen years for a bit. I didn’t mind the work, but it was definitely time-consuming at times. One thing I’ve noticed with Graceworks is that their selection ranges from fair and average to high end or boutique level quality. It seems like because of this broad spectrum of donations they get, they’re able to hold more inside their stores. I’m also impressed by the kinds of brand name items they have. It’s nowhere near as fancy as what other boutiques may have, but I do think they have a decent selection. 


To wrap up this post, I want to ask you what your favorite thrift stores are, and if you’ve found anything that’s considered vintage or unique. Do you prefer thrift shopping in your local area, or do you enjoy online thrifting just as much? I hope to start a conversation on this topic, so feel free to search and follow me on Twitter or Instagram if you want to join in on the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment