7/06/2021

Artist Spotlight: BYU Vocal Point

Brigham Young University is where this a cappella group hails from. I’ve been following their music for a while now, and while this probably goes without saying, the thing I love most about this group is how talented these singers are.

Because the members of this singing group attend school, it makes sense that once a member graduates, they’re removed from the list and another person takes their place. The range of songs that this group sings is diverse, but at the core, BYU Vocal Point shows an immense passion for their faith and values in Mormonism. Yes, this group is Mormon. Now in my eyes at least, I’d say that regardless of what you believe in or identify as religion-wise (or even if you’re not religious), this group of talented singers can still be appreciated for what they do.

BYU Vocal Point’s members are all male, and if I’m being honest, I feel like some of their best music videos are ones where there is a variety of genders and ages. Now of course, this isn’t to say I don’t like their other videos where it’s just a group of young men singing together; all of their songs are equally great in their own ways. One video that I love however which showcases great diversity is their own mashup of songs from The Polar Express. Diversity within the group’s members is one thing that I feel like they could improve on as the only member they have who is not white is named Yaphet. His vocal range is quite impressive, and whenever he takes on a solo, it always brings a smile to my face. One song in particular that comes to mind when talking about solo acts is “Noche de Luz”, a Spanish version of the classic Christmas song “Silent Night”.

To wrap this up, I want to say that every member of this group truly provides a unique role to BYU Vocal Point, and the way these young men are able to harmonize with each other without the aid of instruments is something I’ll never get tired of. Before I even knew about them, the only exposure I had to a cappella was through Peter Hollens. Once I heard about this group through a collaboration done with Peter, I had to jump on board and listen to everything else they’ve done. Thank you, BYU VP, for always providing positive and uplifting music that’s high quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment