5/20/2019

My Minimalist Closet + My Organizing Tips

So with me working with the capsule wardrobe system, I like to section off my hanging clothes by season as well as color. However, I'd say that function comes into play a little bit as well. I like to keep my dresses in their own separate section as well as my jackets, which are separated by season as well.

I have three bins and one basket sitting in my closet. The first one on the far left has all of my every day t-shirts that I like to wear around the house. I then have a smaller bin in the middle which contains my socks. The last bin I have contains my lounge and sportswear bottoms (ex. joggers, leggings, sweatpants, gym shorts, etc.). This way, whenever I'm home for the day, all I have to do is walk into my closet and pick out what I want to wear without any stress. Now I do have more t-shirts that I like to wear to sleep in, but I like to keep those separate from my every day ones.

The rest of my clothes are stored away in my dresser, and if I'm being honest, it's taken me a while to have everything organized in a way that's satisfactory for me. I like to keep all of my heavier knits, sweaters, pajamas and other pants in there as well as my underwear and bras. I know that some women might prefer to hang up their every day pants (like jeans and trousers for example), but I just like keeping them tucked away since I have room for them in my dresser. 

So in the last basket that I keep in my closet is for my bathing suits. I also have a couple pairs of flip flops that I keep in the bottom of that, so that makes reaching for them easy whenever I want to spend some time in my neighborhood pool during the summer months. Now when it comes to shoe storage/organization, I have a small bookshelf that's perfect for all the shoes I wear on the daily. I also have a bigger bookcase in my bedroom, so I like to use that for shoe storage as well. However, because I like to keep things minimal, I only have 4 pairs of shoes sitting on display right now. The rest of what's on there are storage boxes that contains other accessories, lighter-weight cardigans and other miscellaneous items. I also have a couple handbags on display on the bookcase that I enjoy using. 

My closet has been through a lot of phases throughout the years, but I feel like I've finally found a system that works for me and that I can easily stick to. In the past, I used to have a lot more stuff and because of that, I always felt that I needed to keep things better organized by simply buying more organizing products. However, once I eliminated all that extra clutter a year or so ago, I found that all those purchases I've made were simply unnecessary and I just needed to own less stuff. This is probably the one thing I love most about minimalism because when you have less stuff, the less stressed you feel when getting ready in the morning. It honestly just feels amazing to have more control of my surroundings instead of the other way around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment