5/16/2019

Negative/Toxic Habits to Work on This Year

If there's anything that I've learned throughout my early 20's (and onward still), it's that life is full of choices that we make either consciously or subconsciously without realizing it. I don't claim to be perfect nor do I think I have all the answers, but one thing I do try to actively do is keep myself aware of my habits and work on what's not benefiting me personally. So with that being said, I'd like to share some habits that I feel like we can all work on overcoming so that we can live a better and happier life.

1. People pleasing- when we worry about what others think of us or actively try to gain other people's approval of who we think we should be, we automatically give away a part of ourselves without realizing it. We all have this energy inside of us that's meant for us to take care of personally, and no one else can really tell you how to live your life but yourself. By this, I'm not saying to never listen to anyone else's advice, but to simply trust yourself and follow your own instincts. Part of what makes people pleasing so toxic is that the more you do that, the less likely you are to listen to your own inner voice and instincts because you're more focused on keeping everyone else happy, and I don't think anyone would want to live like that.

2. Taking things personally- I've struggled with this a lot (and sometimes I still do), but every time I find myself holding onto this habit, I realize how that bad that makes me feel both mentally and emotionally. Believe it or not, every one of us on this earth is unique in some way- we're not made to be perfect or to be mindless drones. If someone tells you something that lowers your self-esteem or makes you feel less adequate, try to move forward from that and understand that those words have more to do with that person and less to do with you.

3. Sweating the small stuff- Worrying in my opinion is one of the easiest ways to drain your energy, especially if it's about very trivial matters. This could be anything from the weather to bad traffic, or even what your hair or makeup looks like when you go out in public. If all of those little things actually mattered, then people would have said something, but I honestly doubt that anyone would care. What matters more in the end anyways is how you treat other people as well as how you treat yourself.

4. Complaining & projecting your insecurities onto other people- For me personally, talking about the negatives in life or just complaining about everything can lead to a lot of negative and depressing thoughts afterwards. And while I realize that not every day is going to be great and we're all going to have our moments, I feel like the least we can do is try catching ourselves the moment we realize we're complaining or criticizing, and then try to turn that around into something more positive or constructive. We all know the saying hopefully: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." It just takes effort to make that a standard for yourself, so the more you practice restraint and respect for others, the better off you'll be in the end.

Maybe it's just part of us being human, knowing that we're going to say or do things that others may or may not like, but I do hope that these tips and insights are helpful to you in some way. I myself am human as well of course, but I do the best I can to keep my own mental/emotional well-being in check- it just takes effort and practice like anything else in life. And if no one else has told you this today, I'm here for you and I believe in you. Your life is special and you are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment