6/24/2019

A Minimalist's Approach to Beauty + Skincare Tips

From a general perspective, I’d say that I’ve always kept things basic and simple with my makeup. However, there have been times in the past where I would put on too much or pick out the wrong shades for my skin tone. Having learned from those mistakes, I feel like I’m finally in a place where I have all I need and it’s enough for me to mix and match for if I want to be a little more playful with my makeup whenever I decide to wear it.

So for the most part, I don’t wear any products at all except for some lip balm and/or lip gloss- and this is a thing that I’ve done for many years. With me keeping up this habit, I can allow my face to breathe all year round, but if there’s a certain occasion that I want to dress up for, then I will wear a little more product for that.

My collection is a bit small, so I only like to keep the absolute essentials. I have two setting powders (CoverGirl TruBlend 5; Translucent Tawny and Maybelline Fit Me! 130; Buff Beige) in two different shades since my skin sometimes gets darker in the summer. I also only have blush/highlighting palette (Maybelline Master Blush kit) that I bought at CVS. A more recent purchase that I made was when I stopped by Sephora (The Porefessional primer by Benefit). I thought I’d try out the small, travel size option first since my face gets oily sometimes.

I honestly don’t like wearing eye products all that much, so because of this, I only have a couple options for eyeshadow. I have one single shade from Maybelline in a neutral pink, plus I have a small palette from Almay that has 9 other shades.

The last portion of my collection is my lip glosses and lipsticks. Over the years, I’ve always enjoyed lip gloss more than I do lipstick for some reason, and the shades that I’m drawn to the most are mauve or neutral pink. So the only lipstick I have is actually a liquid lipstick by Burt’s Bees in the shade Flushed Petal. I like how it looks on me for if I want a little more color on my lips, but it’s not as overpowering nor does it stick out on my face in a negative way. Now as for lip gloss, I have five that are all similar to each other in shades. I have two that were part of a Christmas gift by Laura Geller (Beach Bum and Peach Please), one by CoverGirl (Candylicious 620) and a butter gloss by NYX (BLG14 Madeleine). In addition to all these products, I also like to keep my two travel-size perfumes in my collection since I have enough space for that plus a lip balm.

For some reason, foundations have always been either hit or miss for me since my skin does get dry and oily, so the easiest solution I've found is to just stop wearing it. Since transitioning out of that, I've come to realize that what I need is less product and more sunscreen and hydration. The last face product I had that I threw away was a BB cream by Maybelline. It did serve me well, but the thing with my routine is that I just want things to be easy, convenient and minimal. Now I know that everyone's skin type is different, but you really can't go wrong with drinking more water to keep your skin more hydrated as well as the rest of your body. Another tip that I'd recommend is using moisturizer daily, whether if that's first thing in the morning or at night (or even at both times). I hope these tips prove helpful to you, especially if your skin is anything like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment