7/02/2019

Accessorizing 101: It's All in the Details!

When I go to my closet, I typically think about the base of my outfit first- and for me, that’s usually a pair of comfortable pants and a t-shirt (or camisole). Of course, you can pick any style top you want, whether if it’s more basic or colorful, sleeveless or not; it’s really up to you and what you feel most comfortable in.

So once I have the base of my outfit picked out, I’ll add some kind of top layer. The weather here where I live has been a little humid lately, but some nights (or mornings), it does get cool out when I leave or arrive to work (or other occasions). Because of this, I personally like having some kind of jacket on hand just in case.

What I love about accessories in general is that they can really enhance or spice up your look, but I do feel like it’s best to keep things minimal and simple. If I’m wearing a top that has a bold print or color on it, then I’ll find accessories that can easily complement the look and not distract from it. For example, say that I’m wearing a red top with a floral pattern on it with black skinny jeans. My jacket of choice with that would probably be my black blazer from Goodwill, and my accessories of choice would be a pair of simple stud earrings, a black watch and my black cross-body bag. Now if this look were for a dinner or lunch out, I’d probably opt for my black pumps or ankle boots, but for work, I’d go for my black Nike sneakers instead.

Now when it comes to outfits that are more simple and basic, one of my favorite ways to accessorize is with a statement bag. I have one red cross-body bag as well as one yellow bag that I enjoy using whenever I’m wearing something like a white t-shirt and jeans or a light grey shirt and denim shorts. This way, if I ever need to run errands but still want to look a little more put together, all I have to do is throw on whatever bag I’m wearing as well as a pair of neutral colored shoes and I have an instant outfit.

So if you’re someone who likes to add a little more color into your outfits, then you can obviously go with a statement necklace or even a statement shoe to add something extra to your look. One thing that I personally would recommend though is to make sure the different elements your working with don’t clash in a way that seems all over the place. For example, if the statement of your outfit is your necklace, then try finding other pieces that balance that out (ie. multi-color necklace, white or silver stud earrings and silver ring combo). Another thing that I would think about is if the colors you use in your accessories match or complement whatever outfit you’re wearing. Now of course, all of this is just a little guide- you can do whatever you want at the end of the day.

My example of being cohesive with color would look like this: the base of my outfit would be my navy blue top with subtle white pattern, dark wash jeans and a blazer. Now for the sake of this blog post, my accessories would be my silver and white statement necklace, black watch, boots and black cross-body bag. This outfit may not be as adventurous as what others would wear, but it’s a look that I love and feel comfortable in.

No comments:

Post a Comment