7/12/2019

How to Care For Your Clothing & Accessories

When it comes to the quality of a piece of clothing, I feel like we could learn a thing or to on what the word “cheap” actually means. I do believe that there’s a difference between something that’s cheaply made versus something that was made at a cheap price. In saying this however, another issue that I think we could learn from is how to not only recognize good quality, but also on how to care for the existing clothes we have.

A lot of what you see in places like Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, H&M and so on may range in quality, but the price overall can either be cheap or fair. The materials that are in these clothing mainly include polyester, and because of this, the quality of the piece may not last as long depending on how you care for that piece of clothing or how often you wash it. For example, I once had a tan cardigan sweater from Forever 21. I wore it a lot, but I never washed it, so I decided to try doing that. In doing this, I noticed that the material was starting to pill a lot, so now I know to not throw certain sweaters in the wash unless it’s absolutely in need of it.

Certain clothing items you have will need to be washed a certain way or even taken to a dry cleaner so that you can avoid mistakes like this. The thing about high quality items is that they will last longer, but if you’re allowing your clothing items or accessories to take a beating to where they start to pill, lose their shape (like handbags) or get certain markings/stains, then you might want to consider getting some kind of special treatment or for those items so that they’ll stay in better condition.

For those who love handbags and enjoy collecting them (especially ones of high quality), there are a lot of ways to go about caring for them as well as getting good use out of them. If I ever invest in a high quality handbag, I personally would want to wear it, but also keep it in good shape and condition. One way to do this would to keep the dust bag it comes in so that if I want to take a break from wearing it, I can simply tuck in there and store it away for later. However, if you’re someone who likes to keep your handbags on display, then I’d suggest putting some kind of stuffing in the bag so that it can maintain its shape. Now of course, if some of your handbags already have good structure and can stand on their own, then one thing to consider is how often you’re cleaning out whatever shelving units or closet space you’re using regularly.

I personally haven’t tried this method myself yet, but I’ve heard that using a leather balm on your leather goods can really help with maintaining their condition. I’ll also mention that with your clothes, it’s best to avoid hanging anything that has too much bulk in the fabric, like sweaters or cardigans depending on how their made.

I know that this is a lot of information to take in, but I do hope that you took away something from this. Our wardrobes, no matter how big or small, shouldn’t have to cause stress in our lives. When I first got into the capsule wardrobe system and paired down what wasn’t working for me, I instantly felt a lot less overwhelmed when it came to getting dressed in the morning. Not only that, but it also helped cut down on the time I would’ve spent worrying about what to wear. Be it, my closet beforehand wasn’t as messy as others nor did I have massive piles of junk, but I did accumulate a lot of the wrong things in order to maintain organization. Nonetheless, I hope that this post was helpful to you in some way!

No comments:

Post a Comment