7/17/2019

Capsule Wardrobe Guide: How to Add More Basic Pieces

When I first got into using this system, I had a lot of colorful, trendy pieces that I liked at the time, but they just didn’t feel like me. It took me a while to decide what I enjoy wearing most often and what colors I gravitated to the most, but I do feel like I have a better grasp on that now. So if you’re anything like me and you need help finding good, basic pieces to help give your closet more structure, I hope my tips will help you in some way.

Before doing anything, I suggest that you declutter. Once you’ve gone through that process, you can start to look at what you have and see what’s missing. One thing that I’d advise against once you’ve decluttered is to go on a huge shopping spree or just wander online aimlessly. You really just want to sit down and write down everything you have currently- or if you’re a visual learner, take a look inside your closet and carefully look at each item you have. Here are a couple questions that I would keep in mind if I were starting out (think of this process as using the KonMari method in reverse):
What is it about this one print, pattern or color you like?
What colors or prints do you not like on you?
Are there any colors in your wardrobe that don’t feel like you, or don’t represent your personality or lifestyle?

So when it comes to color in general, it’s good to know which basic pieces complement the other colors you have in your wardrobe. I’m not the best at explaining color theory with the capsule wardrobe system, but to break things down here, let’s start with the basics:

Black, white and grey are the basics as they’re universally flattering on anybody. Your primary colors are blue, red, green and yellow. Mixing these together with white or black automatically give you the perfect outfit. However, I feel like you can’t go wrong with more neutral color tones as well, like ivory, brown, tan and/or beige. If you have clothing items that are like a dark, army green, those can naturally go well with brown, black, white, ivory or tan. This can also be applied to the other primary colors, but you do have to be careful when mixing and matching brighter colors together as opposed to colors with darker shades.

As of recently, I’ve been really into different shades of brown and beige. What I like about this color is that it goes well with any of the primary colors, but in shades that aren’t as bright. Colors like burgundy, maroon, mustard yellow or army green can really look good with a shirt that has more neutral, earthy tones. Another great color combination I love is black and navy (or denim) blue; it just gives off this timeless vibe as these colors would look good on anybody.

Now I know that everybody’s style is different and our lifestyles are different as well, so at the end of the day, just do what works for you. Part of what I love about fashion is that you can be as playful as you want, or you can just keep things simple and casual. However, if you’re someone who's into fashion and style like I am, then I do hope this little guide was helpful to you in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment