8/14/2019

Gilmore GIrls Series Review

So if this wasn’t known already, GIlmore GIrls is my favorite show to watch whenever I just want to unwind and not think about anything else. It has drama, romance, comedy and lots of fast talking. In the world of the Gilmores, one has to be caffeinated enough to keep up with this show’s pace sometimes.

Lorelai and Rory’s relationship is special. They have this bond that makes them not just mother and daughter, but also best friends. The first 4 seasons are very well written as they provide enough balance for who they are as individuals as well as who they are when they’re together. Season 5 is pretty good as well, but from there on, I personally feel like the writers could have done better. Rory’s character is special, so while I understand that perhaps this good girl wasn’t going to stay good forever, I do feel as if they could have found a way to give Rory’s character a better ending, especially with the way they ended her relationship with Logan Huntzberger. In a way though, I can see why they chose to have Rory choose herself instead of a guy because it reinforces the feminist message behind this show.

I’ll admit that I’m not crazy about feminism in general, but for the show’s sake, I do think it's had its moments of good. It’s not that I believe we shouldn’t invest in ourselves, but rather, I believe that we all deserve to experience love and should learn how to share our lives with those who care about us, whether if it’s with a significant other, a close friend, or in this show’s case, your daughter.

The romances in this series are certainly dramatic enough to keep people entertained. My favorite pairings are definitely Lorelai and Luke, and Rory with Jess. I’ll even admit that I enjoyed seeing Rory with Dean, but if Dean hadn’t been so insecure or jealous, I feel like the two of them could have settled and live happily with each other. My favorite friendship pairings are definitely Rory and Paris, Sookie and Lorelai, and of course, Rory and Lorelai.

Now of course, this show wouldn’t be what it is without the infamous Emily and Richard Gilmore. The two of them may have their faults- Emily especially, but you can tell as the show progresses that they do care for their daughter. Now I’m sure that if Lorelai were real, she would disagree with this statement, but I’m thankful that she isn’t.

The amount of times I’ve watched this series is honestly lost on me now. I enjoy immersing myself into the Gilmore world on occasion these days, so because of that, I won’t be giving up this show any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment