9/02/2019

How to Build Your Own Capsule Wardrobe

Does your wardrobe fit your lifestyle? Which essential pieces are you missing, or what do you have too much of? Are your clothes of good quality, and do they serve more than one function? These are probably the biggest questions to consider when you start to build your own capsule wardrobe. With all the different guides that you see on social media and YouTube, I feel like this concept can be a little overwhelming, so I hope that my tips and advice is helpful to you if you’re wanting to get started, but don’t know where or how to start.

FUNCTION
There are two ways to define this when it comes to fashion and style. The first way function is implemented is through your lifestyle and which clothes you turn to for certain events in your life. Are you someone who enjoys entertaining or going to parties? Are you someone who goes to the gym often? Are you someone who enjoys the occasional dinner out or late-night concert? Whatever events you attend- and of course, your profession plays a role in this as well- your wardrobe is something that I think should reflect that.

Dressing for your job all depends on your company’s dress code policies. If you work in an environment where the dress code is business casual, then that’ll give you a little bit of an advantage when it comes to playing with style. I used to work at a grocery store where I had to wear the same thing every day which made getting dressed very easy. Nowadays with me working at a thrift store, I tend to keep my uniform business casual as well as comfortable. This means I have to wear sneakers because I’m on my feet for long hours, but at least I get to have some fun with my outfits.

With the way my closet is spread out, I have two capsules within my overall wardrobe: one for spring/summer and another for fall/winter, and I have an even mix of basics and trendy pieces in each one. This allows me to get maximum wear out of what I have, but if I ever feel like wearing something more trendy, I have enough options for that as well. My lifestyle is pretty relaxed, so whenever I’m not at work, I’m usually at home in shorts or sweatpants and a t-shirt. This brings me to my second point when it comes to function. Once you’ve thought about your lifestyle and how that reflects your current wardrobe, think about what essential or functional pieces you’re missing. You’ll obviously need to declutter first if you have too many clothes to begin with or if it feels like you have nothing to wear.

VERSATILITY
When you really think about it, we wear 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time. Half of what you might have accumulated over time in your own closet may not have been touched since two or three years ago, or maybe even longer than that. Once you pair down and declutter what’s not working for you anymore, you’ll be able to see what’s missing. If not however, then consider working with what you currently have. Can you dress up or dress down a certain shirt that you’ve saved? Can you think of more than one function for a certain dress you love? Once you’re able to see the versatility in what you already have, you’ll get a good idea of where to start when you go out shopping. With that being said however, I feel like it’s best to make a list so that you don’t go overboard or buy things that aren’t within your budget.

QUALITY
Keep in mind that when you’re shopping, quality doesn’t always mean more expensive, but at the same time, everything in life is going to cost something. You can easily find good quality clothes at thrift stores, especially in places like Goodwill or Graceworks for example.

Clothing that’s made of cotton, leather or wool for example will typically last longer than something that’s made out of nylon, polyester, rayon, acrylic or spandex. Any combination of these fibers in clothing may seem to hold well for a short period of time, but if you wear it out to where it becomes see-through or has gaping holes, then it’s not good quality. Now I understand that with the rise of slow/sustainable fashion on social media, people are becoming more conscious or aware of the mistreatment of animals, the environment and even humans when it comes to how clothes are being produced. This is something that I myself am aware of, but I personally feel like there’s more than one way to live a sustainable lifestyle besides buying things from more eco-friendly brands that aren't within one's budget.

The quality of our clothes last longer when we take better care of them. If you’re someone who wears t-shirts a lot, consider wearing it two or three times before tossing it in the dirty load to be washed, especially if there aren’t any stains or odors on it. If you have a lot of sweaters but not enough closet space, consider folding them up instead of squeezing them into your wardrobe with the hangers on. If you notice that your favorite pair of pants has a rip in it, consider hemming it up yourself instead of just throwing them away or donating them. Another way to improve the quality of your clothes is to just use them up until they fall apart. Whatever it is you decide to do, there’s really no right or wrong way to go about it because in the end, most clothing items just don’t last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment