8/30/2019

I Am a Creative Weirdo: My Backstory w/ Interior Design

This is something I feel like I haven’t touched on yet, but home decorating is another thing that I enjoy doing for fun. However, my taste and style has changed a lot over the years. I used to be all about colors that are fun and bright (especially when I was a teenager), but nowadays, I prefer colors that are more soft or neutral.

Now before I talk any more about interior decorating itself, I want to give a little backstory about where I get my inspiration. I think it’s normal for some kids or teenagers to just go for bold choices without thinking about those other little details, but over the years (especially in my early and mid 20’s), I’ve been gaining more knowledge from the help of Kate Albrecht and Joey Zehr (more well known as Mr. Kate). Kate is a self-taught interior designer, and her partner Joey does a great job with construction and building. The two of them also just happen to be married and recently gave birth to their first child. He’s honestly adorable and I feel like the two of them are going to be great parents!

One of Kate’s trademarks is to be creative and to be your own unique self, hence the term “creative weirdo”. Creativity takes on many forms and is a very individual thing depending on each person’s interests/hobbies and passions in life. Your creativity could be with arts and crafts, music, interior design, fashion, beauty, writing, etc… The possibilities are literally endless when it comes to creativity, but once you know what your strengths and weaknesses are with these different creative ideas, you can find out what works for you and do what you want with it.

My style when I was fifteen/sixteen was bright, girly and pink. I’ve always had a soft spot for pink, so when I was around that age, I decided to go for an accent wall with that color. Thinking back a couple years before that when I was first given my own bedroom, my walls were yellow. I feel like this phase of infusing bright colors into my room stuck around up until last year. For as long as I’ve had my own room, I’ve had this bright pink, yellow, green and red duvet cover on my bed, so because of that, I was always editing my space so that it can match with those colors.

I’d say that my style now is more neutral, soft, minimal and slightly eclectic. I still enjoy pink, but I like playing around with softer tones, like blush or baby pink. I also really love earthy green like what you would see in plants. When I took the “What’s My Aesthetic?” quiz on the Mr. Kate website, a big portion of my aesthetic turned out to be farmhouse, and in all honesty, I’m not against that. I do think there’s this calming and also homey vibe to the farmhouse style. And while I don’t trust myself to take care of real plants, I do think that fake plants and different types of wood can look great together!

It’s funny how as you grow and evolve, so does your style. I feel like I’ve learned a lot thanks to Kate and Joey when it comes to interior design. The amount of talent they have is honestly an inspiration to me as I continue to learn, grow and evolve in my own creative weirdness. So whether if this is just a fun hobby or if it’s a passion of yours that you want to build professionally, there’s really no right or wrong way to go when it comes to interior design. So if you happen to stumble across this Kate, I just want to thank you for being an inspiration to me. It would honestly be amazing to meet you someday or even to have you help decorate my own space some time in the future. Keep up the great work and be sure to give baby Moon a hug for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment