8/29/2019

Hygge, Minimalism & The Art of Doing Less

For those who don't know this, hygge is a Danish word that focuses on the well-being of an individual. One thing that I find interesting about this lifestyle is that no matter where you are in the world, anybody can apply this lifestyle to their lives.

One thing that I find funny when looking at America and Denmark side by side is that while we do take pride in individuality, freedom and maybe even unity, we are all opinionated in our own unique ways. Now of course, I don't live in Denmark, but one thing that I've noticed through other travel blogs is that it's definitely one of the happiest places in the world, and I do believe that the concept of hygge has a little bit to do with that.

America in general thrives off of a lot of different things. We have jobs, family, friends and other loved ones, but perhaps for some, family is too far away or no longer around. America is "home of the free" where we get to be whomever we want, but I know that even the most grounded of us can get lost in the noise and excess sometimes. When minimalism became big the first time around, it kind of gave off a mix of different reactions. In a way, I guess minimalism is the Americanized version of hygge, but the thing that kind of makes minimalism intimidating as opposed to hygge is those extreme examples we see on social media where people live with next to nothing. If there's one thing that I honestly can't stress enough, it would be that minimalism is very much an individual thing and cannot be defined by any other person except yourself.

At its very core, what makes minimalism different from hygge is that while it does help our well-being, it can also lead to self-discovery in some ways. I feel like it's normal for a lot of us to feel lost when we're first starting out in life and experiencing reality for ourselves. Even before I started out with minimalism, I had a good idea of what I valued at the time, but at the same time, I was going through a lot of different phases and changes with my personality, hobbies/interests and even relationships. However, as I got further along into my minimalism journey in the last year, I feel like I've been able to reconnect with what really matters to me and branch out more into other things, like this blog I have. With me being introverted and quiet by nature, it can sometimes be hard for me to put myself out there on a level that's personal and transparent. When I'm writing about my struggles or just other ideas that are inside my head however, I feel a little more free and less burdened by whatever it is I'm going through. Not only that, but it really helps to fuel my creative energy and encourages me to do more of what I love.

I think one the biggest lessons I've learned in the last year is that it's okay to settle for contentment. Whether if you're a minimalist or not (or if you're Danish), being content with what you already have will lead to more happiness. At the same time however, it's okay to branch out and be adventurous. It's okay to make do with what you have, but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with stepping out of your comfort zone- and I honestly would encourage this a little more often as it helps us to grow as individuals. In the end, it's all just about balance no matter how you decide to define your lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment