8/22/2019

Social Media vs. YouTube: The Blogging Industry

Ever since I started talking about fashion, sustainability and other lifestyle topics on my blog, I feel like my audience here has become a little stagnant at times. Be it, I’m not doing this to earn more money or gain a big following at the moment, but I do sometimes wonder if people in the blogging industry in general get enough recognition for what they do. 

I personally still enjoy writing out my thoughts, ideas and insights this way and sharing them to places like Twitter or Instagram. And while I kind of see YouTube as its own platform for creativity, connection and other opportunities, I can also see why this platform can be considered a social outlet in some ways. YouTube is becoming a lot more diverse these days as it continues to be a place for not just creativity and connection, but also opportunities for jobs and business. It still blows my mind sometimes how people are able to make a living off of their online content, but from what I’ve heard/seen, there’s a lot more to it than just showing your face or recording your day-to-day life. 

So when it comes to the blogging industry/community, I feel like YouTube could lead to more opportunities in some ways. Recognition though is hard to come by, especially if your standards are very specific or even if you’re just starting out. Through Instagram, I sometimes get comments from different companies asking if I’d like to collaborate with them, but knowing my own standards, I would only say yes if the company is transparent about their ethics or sustainability practices. 

I used to have a video up on my YouTube page about my handbag collection, but it’s been taken down since then. At some point I might start making videos again, but before I get to that point, I want to do some research about the creative field in general. I feel like I was ill equipped beforehand and while I did have a plan all laid out, I had this big-picture mindset of thinking my success would grow overnight which lead to stress and anxiety. 

Social media these days can lead to opportunities as well, but using Facebook alone doesn’t do much good from what I’ve noticed personally. Most young people these days prefer Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat. I myself don’t have Snapchat, but in knowing the appeal behind it and how it allows content creators to develop a deeper connection with their audience, it does make sense. I myself really love Instagram because it allows me to showcase my work in a visual way while still being able to share new blog posts. One thing I like about Twitter is that you get to share more of yourself either from a professional or personal standpoint. A while back, I deleted my old Twitter account from when I was in high school, and after a few days, I made a new one that I can share my work on. Be it, I still like to follow people or interests on there, but most of what I follow now is in line with what I follow on YouTube (ie. minimalism, fashion, music/musicals and anime). 

So overall, I feel like the amount of opportunities is still there no matter what path you take. Social media in general has grown a lot since it was first invented, so I’m glad that I’m starting to embrace that as a side project for now at least. I’m content with what I’m doing, and the content I’m making on my blog is a lot of fun. And while I do feel like I’m starting to consume social media a little more, I do still try to take breaks so that I don’t become stressed or burnt out. It’s all about balance no matter if you use social media for personal or professional reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment