9/26/2019

My Sustainability Journey (updated)

Sustainability in general takes on a lot of different forms, and with the slow progression of this movement here in the states, I feel like it's easy to see what everybody else is doing and wanting to do it all. What I've learned however is that it's kind of impossible to do just that. You kind of have to find out what works best for you, and so this post is going to highlight what I've learned and which habits that I try to implement on the daily.

Sustainable fashion is a respectable choice, but with me knowing my own shopping habits, this is something that can go in two different ways: buy clothes from more eco-friendly brands, or just cut down your shopping habits in general and find things secondhand. When I first started decluttering my own closet, I knew I wanted to make some changes, but I wasn't sure which route would be best for me when it came to being more sustainable.

Buying things from secondhand shops first is something I value a lot more today, but at the same time, there are certain brands I continue to support that aren't sustainable- Aerie/American Eagle is one of those brands. I've been using and wearing their undergarments since high school, and over time, I've noticed that the quality of their clothing is getting better (plus a lot of what they have is super comfortable). I also love how I can easily find things there that actually fit my body type. Mind you, I do own one bralette from Organic Basics, but other than that, Aerie has and will continue to be part of my life. 

I think what's stuck with me since hearing about this topic is to just produce less waste in general. I've always loved different bath and skin care products like lotion, hand soap, body wash and face masks (and I do get good use out of these things), but for the past couple months, I've been downsizing and decluttering a lot of this one category of items. I still love these products, but I don't need two or three boxes full of them. With that being said, I now only have one small box of hand lotion and sanitizer, and only a couple bottles of shower gel for me to use. I do also have a small collection of face masks which I know I'll love for if I ever want to pamper myself. 

I make my lunches most of the time for work, so because of that, it just feels like second nature to use your own lunch box instead of using plastic bags. I've been doing this for years, but another step I've taken recently is to not use any single-use plastic baggies for snack foods. Instead, I'll use Tupperware containers that I can wash and use again, and with that, I also try to use eating utensils either from my kitchen drawer or just bring my bamboo utensil set with me. 

So overall, I do think it's good to have awareness for the environment in general, even if you're not following or doing exactly what everybody else is doing. What matters is that you're trying, and while each of us may have our own goals and rules, the last thing we should be doing is judging or shaming others for not doing enough, or for not being able to do it all. We've come a long way as a society, and there's definitely nothing wrong with being active in caring for the environment. We're the ones living on this earth, so I personally am all for living a more sustainable lifestyle in ways that work for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment