10/03/2019

Five More Things to Declutter Today

After making my first list, I feel inspired to make a new list now of what I've decluttered from my life in recent months. I hope this inspires you to tackle similar items or other areas of your home.

Sentimental Items
I know this is can be a more ambitious project for some, but given where I'm at now with my minimalism journey, I've found that this one category of items has become easier to maintain and go through as time goes on. I used to have so many loose leaf papers of things I drew, concert pamphlets/tickets, football game memorabilia, photos and other miscellaneous items that just seemed to take up space. When I went through that first initial purge, I had two boxes plus a shelf in the bonus room of my house, but that's now been consolidated to just one box as well as that one shelf.

Kitchen Gadgets & Utensils
If I'm being honest here, I do still live with my parents, so this is something I'm not able to declutter as of right now. However, this doesn't mean I can't come up with my own ideas of what I would prefer to bring into my future home. Kitchen appliances in general can be pretty bulky, and knowing how I typically make and prepare my food, I think my list of essentials would be pretty minimal, but also versatile:
2 cooking sheets
4 pots (2 small, 2 large)
1 frying pan
1 matching set of cutlery
4 serving utensils (2 spoons, 1 spatula, 1 slotted turner)
1 pair kitchen shears
1 toaster
1 colander
1 wooden cutting board
2 serving bowls
1 set of salad tongs
1 set of measuring spoons
1 glass measuring cup
6 bowls
6 dinner plates
6 glasses
1 steak knife set
2 pot mittens

Junk Drawer Items
Dead or brand new batteries, an overflow of pens that may or may not work, measuring tape, box cutters, fairy or string lights, random bundles of string or twine, extra phone chargers and/or lint rollers all fall into this one category. If any of these items seem to feel out of place or not used in your home, then perhaps it's time to throw away or donate them. I sometimes feel that in an alternate life, I'd prefer to not have a junk drawer or box at all, but sometimes, you just need that little extra space for items that don't have a designated space in your home.

Duplicates
When it comes to certain household items, quality is better than quantity. Now even though I realize that some things won't last forever (clothing, shoes, food, toiletries or cosmetics), there are other things that you can invest in to avoid that extra clutter. For example, if you have one coffee maker or blender that's high quality as well as one that may not be as great, which one would you get more use out of? Which one would you turn to more often? This same method can be applied to other items depending on the condition they're in.

Unfinished or Neglected Projects
If you've collected a bunch of picture frames, blank canvases or organizing containers in hopes of using them for a DIY project, what are the chances of you actually getting to that task? Will it have been worth the time and money spent on those items? There have been occasional instances where I've fallen into this mindset myself where I feel inspired, so I go out and buy the items I need to start the project, but only finish it halfway or not at all. However, there were other DIY projects I did early on that I have finished, only to declutter them months later because I was bored with them. If you can relate to this on any level here, then consider this to be the push you need to reevaluate which projects are more obtainable or practical for you. I know that for some, DIY projects are highly enjoyable, but not everyone has the time or patience for that and that's okay. I myself have been through more creative phases that involve those artsy supplies, but at this point in my life, I just find it to be tedious and messy. I guess being creative comes in waves for some (or for me at least), but if I ever get the urge to make DIYs again, it would be when I move out and start living in an apartment with my boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment