12/13/2019

Opinion Piece: Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice

Why would someone who’s adopted speak up and say she’s more pro-choice than she is pro-life? It’s one thing to be pro-life if you’re religious (and some people are), and I can understand how my opinion might make me look to some of my family members. This topic is something we could argue or debate on all day because I get that everybody’s views, beliefs and opinions are different, but my main focus with this post is to just get my opinion out there regardless of whether people agree or not.

So yes, I am adopted. I was placed in an orphanage in China when I was still a baby, then immigrated to the United States when I was nine months old. This means I (somewhat) understand the argument of pro-life supporters, but I still don’t agree with it. If I had known more about my birth mother or if she were still alive, I wouldn’t be resentful or disappointed in her giving me up for adoption.

Infants aren’t fully developed whether if they’re born or unborn, and they’re not able to make decisions for themselves. Every mother on this earth, young or old, has the choice to either accept responsibility for being a parent or not; I can’t decide that for them. No person should EVER decide that for them, because that’s a choice that they have to make on their own. It’s nobody’s place to judge or speculate on why someone would decide to have an abortion. Those who are pro-life supporters need to understand that it’s okay for you to have your own beliefs, but to speculate, judge or insert yourself into other people’s lives because of your beliefs is NOT okay.

Everybody’s situation is different when it comes to this. You don’t know what other women have gone through or why they decided to choose abortion. Again, I don’t know much about my own birth mother or if she’s still alive, but if I did know anything about that, I would thank her for giving me the chance to live a happy and healthy life. And yes, I don’t believe that murder is right, but there’s a difference between a selfless sacrifice and a senseless act of violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment