1/31/2020

Review: Encore! (Disney+ Original Series)

When I first heard about this series, I was skeptical since I didn't know anything about it. Is it a reality show? Does it feature different groups of people performing in a musical they did several years ago? The answer to those questions is yes. If you've heard of Disney+ through social media, then surely you've seen this show being advertised. If not, then I can help break it down for you.

Since this show is literally a musical reality show, each episode is filmed within a 5-day span. Of course, the producers only show footage that they think is worth the experience. If you remember how you felt when you experienced your high school reunions, this show has that same feeling in some ways.

Within five days, you get to know each group of individuals and what their lives were like in high school. The age range is typically between 30 and 60, and the location is different for most episodes. Now of course, this wouldn't be a reality show without a few dramatic moments, but none of it is scripted except for when it's curtain day and everyone's in costume.

So because the "cast" is comprised of real people, you can't really blame them if they flub their lines or trip over their own two feet. In other cases, you might find it hard to keep your eyes dry as you hear about their stories from the past. The theater for some is an escape from reality; for others, it might just be an outlet for their energy or a place to find that sense of community. Whatever you may see the theater as, you can't deny that singing/acting is one of the many ways for us to connect with other people.

When I was in high school, I chose to do marching band instead of theater. I was kind of a shy person as a teenager, so being behind an instrument was a fun way for me to be seen and heard. Not only that, but I did have a fun time being part of that community in particular. Sometimes, I wonder what my high school years would have been like if I had chosen theater instead, but overall, I can't say I regret going with percussion instruments instead of lending my own voice. I feel like most people, I'm able to hit the notes and carry a tune, but that's about it. It probably would have been hard for me to sing, dance and act all at the same time while being in front of a crowd, even if their faces were familiar.

So as a musical lover, I'd give Encore a full 5 stars for its entertainment factor. Each episode is something different, and each musical that they reunite to do is a fun experience in itself even if you don't know the music. I also love the reactions you get from each episode's cast after that last encore performance. To them, it's an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience, and that feeling somehow gets translated into the viewer's heart as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment