6/05/2020

Systemic Racism & Actions Over Words

I traveled from China to the United States when I was 9 months old, and yet, I grew up around white privilege. I'll admit that once I entered my late teens/early 20's, a lot of my beliefs of the world were misguided and naive. This world we live in is so diverse, and yet, racism continues to show its ugly face no matter how far we progress as society. Learning to unlearn is what needs to happen now, because for several years, the black community has tried to fight and protest for their right to be heard and treated equally.

Systemic racism takes on many forms. It can exist in the economy, schools, religious organizations, the work place and even just on the streets. It occurs without the majority of us realizing it on a subconscious level. We select our own friends at an early age based on looks, status or attitudes. We choose which tribe to follow based on our beliefs or other similarities, and the way we act is influenced by the actions of others. And believe it or not, how we treat other human beings is based on how other people have treated us.

Ending systemic racism starts with acknowledging your own background and surroundings. What kind of environment did you grow up in? How were you treated by your own family or peers? What kinds of behaviors did you pick up because of the circumstances you've faced? Sometimes even those with the kindest or seemingly harmless intentions can pick up unintentional behaviors that can be perceived as racist.

This issue of racial inequality is no longer about the white majority's voices and what we care about. George Floyd's death was the last straw, and since then, I've come to realize that I can do so much more to help the black community. Donate any time or money if you can. Attend any rallies or protests within your area. Educate yourself, and work towards unlearning any toxic, racist behaviors you may have. My social media feeds have been blowing up with all sorts of hashtags and blackout posts, but actions speak far louder than words.

What I've learned throughout this week is that empathy, compassion and generosity fades the more we stay within our own bubbles of safety. The cruelty that we cause towards other people cannot be tolerated. As much as we want to protect our own well-being, we also should try to give back to others as often as we can.

For the rest of this week, I'll be doing what I can to raise my own awareness and work towards harboring more empathy and compassion. YouTube, podcasts and audio books provide an endless amount of information on racism and how we can dismantle it because the black community has fought hard long enough. It's our turn now to do our part, so what will you be doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment