7/12/2020

Studio Ghibli Films I Love

So even though these movies are owned by Disney, I still like to consider them as a form of anime. Some of these films are directed and produced by Hayao Miyazaki, but there are also some that were directed by someone else. So without further explanation, here’s my list of favorites from Studio Ghibli.


When Marnie Was There- This film is probably my #1 favorite out of all the others I’ve seen. The story is about a girl who has to live with some relatives in order to recover from a respiratory illness, and while she’s there, she comes across a mysterious mansion. I think what I love most about this film is that it captures this pure essence of love, joy and sadness, all without having it be too cliche.  


Spirited Away- If you haven’t heard of Spirited Away for some reason, then I’m convinced that you live under a rock. This one is about a girl named Chihiro, and as she’s getting ready to move to a new city with her parents, they come across what they think is an “abandoned” amusement park. I personally think that this movie does a great job of not only telling a visually compelling story, but also highlighting some societal issues in a way that may be elusive to younger viewers, but can later be seen more clearly as an adult. Now I’m not going to give away what those are, but once you’ve finished the film for yourself, try to see and pick out what those issues are. 


Castle in the Sky- It’s been quite a while since I’ve watched this one, but just like the other SG films, Castle in the Sky is just as beautiful both visually and from a storytelling perspective. The main characters in this film are Pazu and Sheeta, and their encounter happens when Sheeta’s amulet necklace saves her from falling out of a government airplane. Throughout the movie’s plot, Sheeta goes on a journey with Pazu as she tries to stay hidden from anyone who wants to use her amulet for their own selfish gain. Now if there’s anything that sticks out to me since watching this the first time, it’s these infamous giant robots and their mission to protect the princess. You can actually find one of those robots at one of the DisneyWorld parks, which I think is pretty cool. 


Ponyo- So if I’m being honest here, I think that the cuteness factor in Ponyo ranks high in comparison to Lilo and Stitch. Now of course, I realize that both of those movies tell different stories and go in different directions with their stories, but since each movie has a child as the lead character, I find that Ponyo and Sosuke are just a bit cuter than Lilo and her pal Stitch. These two characters meet by the shore of a beach as Ponyo has frantically escaped from her underwater home, saying that she wants to be a human instead of a fish. There’s really no shortage of sweet moments in this story as Ponyo learns how to become a human, and the purity of her feelings towards Sosuke is something that I think could even make a scrooge smile. 


My Neighbor Totoro- Who doesn’t love a big, huggable creature that only children can see as they enter a mystifying forest? This is exactly what My Neighbor Totoro provides as the story involves a lot of wonder, adventure and imagination. Just like a couple others, it’s been a few years since I’ve watched this movie in particular, but what I do remember is the joy of seeing these fuzzy creatures come to life once they were discovered by Mei and Satsuki. Fun fact: I bought myself a t-shirt with Totoro on it a few years ago after seeing the movie for the first time. Now all I need is a Totoro plushie!


No comments:

Post a Comment