7/26/2020

Sustainable Fashion Mistakes: What I've Learned

It’s been about two years since I started getting into sustainable fashion and exploring my personal style, so I thought now would be a good time to simply reflect on what I’ve learned. I’ll also be highlighting a couple pieces that I have regret purchasing, and how that plays into my shopping habits now. 

So one thing I want to point out is that I’m still learning things as I go about this journey, and I don’t expect myself to be perfect. Before I ever knew about sustainable fashion, most of my clothing was from fast fashion retailers, and I have splurged on a couple items that I no longer have. One of my earliest splurges was on a teal top with some cut out detailing on the chest and shoulders, and while I did love and wear it often, it just didn’t feel like me in some ways. Styling it up in more than one way wasn’t much of an issue, but I guess over time, I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer modesty as the design was a little showy on top. The material of the clothing just didn’t feel all that comfortable on me either, so since then, I have donated it. 

With me trying to put comfort and style first these days, another thing I’ve learned is that it’s better to find items that are versatile and can be worn again and again. I can’t really say I had this issue of never wanting to wear the same outfit, but what I can say is that it’s just as wasteful to wear a certain top or skirt repeatedly for only one season, and then tossing it out because of boredom or some other lack mentality. Having learned from this mistake, I now only try to find items that are more versatile in their color, or can be worn in multiple different ways, which extends the longevity of each piece in my wardrobe. 

Another splurge I remember making a year or two ago is a white, sleeveless blouse. I had the idea that I wanted my wardrobe to have an element of “business casual” for the days I’m working, and while my job can be considered as that in some ways, the reality here is that I’m not sitting at a desk for 8 hours, and I need to keep myself covered in a way that feels appropriate and comfortable. That sleeveless blouse stayed in my closet for at least a year and a half, but now it’s gone as I need to be in clothing that I can move around in. Coming to this realization is still an occasional struggle, but what I’ve learned is that it’s better to buy things with the present in mind and what works within our current lifestyle. 

If you’re someone who loves a good bargain hunt or could spend hours searching the sales racks, I can’t say there’s anything wrong with that as long as you know what you’re looking for. I realize that this is easier said than done and how tempting it is to buy things out of impulse or because it’s “a good deal”, but in the long run, if what you’re buying isn’t serving any purpose for you, then it wasn’t worth the money spent. I’ve done this more times than I can count, and what I’ve learned is following this kind of consumer-based mindset only leads to more waste. It also puts into question how much value you put into your money, especially if what you’re buying is expensive. 

Being sustainable with my clothing choices is something I value a lot more now than I ever did in my teens or early 20’s. I feel like because I had produced so much waste, I now try to be more mindful of not only the kinds of clothing I’m most drawn to, but also with my spending habits in general. Now of course, being sustainable doesn’t always have to equal buying things from expensive, ethical brands. Buying things second hand is always a good first option, but at the same time, I also believe it’s good if you can support any ethical brands when you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment