12/26/2023

ADHD and Concentration (Inattention Deficits)

You’ll notice that even though it’s easier for me to classify my disability as ADHD when making this blog series, I was actually diagnosed with ADD as a child. This means that most of my difficulties have to do with my ability to focus or concentrate. In particular, sometimes it can be difficult to complete different tasks when being instructed to. Hyperactivity, for me at least, comes and goes. I don’t remember ever experiencing hyperactivity as a child, but I do remember what my parents have said to me in that I used to have to take what they’d call “pay attention” medicine. Without that medicine, it would become harder for me to stay focused in school.

Nowadays with me being an adult, focus and concentration is something I have to put more effort into. Depending on the task at hand, or on the condition of my mental health, my attention span can either feel all over the place like I’m the energizer bunny, or directly in the zone. The one thing that makes focusing somewhat easier for me now, as opposed to when I was a kid, is that I know which tools to utilize. Sometimes, getting enough exercise or vitamin D can improve my focus and concentration greatly. Other times, I may decide to break up my work into smaller chunks to help avoid fatigue or exhaustion. This system works for school projects or papers, or even when I’m working on creative projects. Even with my day job, I try my best to take small mental breaks, whether it’s for a couple of seconds between each customer, or by simply sitting down once it’s time for me to take one of my unpaid breaks.

Having a shorter attention span, or a “sloth brain” as I’ve once described to a friend of mine, shouldn’t be used as an excuse to not try new things, even if it takes longer to learn them. I know that throughout my 20’s, I’ve experimented with a lot of different productivity methods and dived pretty heavily into minimalism as a lifestyle. And so while I can only speak from personal experience here, decluttering and looking for ways to simplify your life can greatly help to reduce the amount of times you experience an ADHD meltdown, or even a depressed episode. If I were to experience a rough day where my focus and concentration just isn’t where I want it to be and I start feeling the need to withdraw or hide in a corner, sometimes breath work and mindfulness can help alleviate those issues temporarily if not permanently. 

Over the years, I’ve realized that for me at least, my depression has always existed because I wasn’t focusing on my own worth and well-being, and a lot of my self-talk was pretty harsh, negative and unforgiving. And in all honesty here, I still struggle with these things sometimes if not often. Positive thinking is a muscle you have to build up, and while this may sound easy in theory, it can actually take quite a bit of time and practice if you’re just starting out for the first time. And even though I consider myself to be very passionate in my efforts to advocate for better mental health, the truth of the matter is that sometimes, I need to be reminded that I’m human as well. Forgetfulness happens. I still have impulsive tendencies. Like anybody else, I don’t always enjoy putting in the work to take care of myself, but it’s not because I’m “being lazy”... it’s because I have and still experience meltdowns that are in correlation to my attention deficits. 

There was a point of time in my life where I took medication at the start of my 20’s, and for a while, it did help. However, the more I took it as time went on, I started to develop a lot of headaches and pent up tension in my neck and shoulders. I then made the decision to stop taking it because of these “symptoms”, for lack of better word. I still stand firm in this decision to this day as it has allowed me to see my health from a more holistic perspective, and even though my ADD still makes the process more difficult sometimes, I will always try my best to make my health and well-being a priority. Just remember that even if you’re only taking baby steps like drinking enough water, brushing your teeth and washing your face, those tiny little habits can add up over time and help promote a better sense of happiness and wellness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment