6/30/2017

Discussing Depression & Negative Emotions

In my life, I've had some very dark thoughts, but I've never come close to the thought of suicide. My heart has never felt so dark and alone to the point that I could not see why I'm still alive. People who, in whatever way possible, are aware of their self-worth will find a way out. Those who don't want to stay stuck and isolated will try and fight off whatever dark feelings they're struggling with. That's just the way I see it personally.

The human mind is capable of either doing a lot of good or a lot of damage. If you concentrate too hard on your own feelings and emotions, they will consume you from the inside out. It's easy for people to get lost in their own dark emotions whenever they're experiencing something that's unpleasant or painful. Another thing that's easy to do is to act on impulse because of any certain emotion.

Hatred, anger, irritation, sadness and doubt are just a few of the many negative feelings we experience, but depression is different from any normal emotion that most people feel. In order to fully understand, you'd have to experience it yourself. I could try explaining it from my own personal experiences, but that would just be scratching the surface. Emptiness, loneliness, a constant state of feeling bland and lifeless like nothing matters and you feel like you don't matter... That's probably as close as I can get with describing depression. I wouldn't want to feel this way, but if anyone else out there feels that way, then I want to be there for you.

Depression in general is complex and while it's easy to associate any dark feeling you have with depression, that does not mean you actually have it. It's important to see and learn the difference between feeling depressed and being depressed. It doesn't matter where you are in life or what struggles you're facing; we just need to become more aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment