6/10/2019

My Top 5 Favorite Basics

One thing that I’ve come to love about having a capsule wardrobe is how it’s comprised of good quality pieces that you can wear over and over again in a variety of different ways. And while I do like to be playful with my style sometimes, I can definitely say that I have a new love and appreciation for more minimal and basic/classic looks. So with all of this being said, I’d like to share my five favorite basic pieces that I have in my wardrobe.

White v-neck sleeveless blouse (White House, Black Market)- I first bought this top when I was still in that phase of buying things with no real goal or purpose in mind, but I’ve really come to love it now as it’s the perfect piece for me to wear to work. Now obviously, I love the way it looks by itself, but I’ve also come to love the way it looks when I pair it with a bralette underneath. Another great thing about this top is that I can style it up or down, but I personally like dressing it up more. My favorite way to wear it is with a blazer and a pair of black skinny jeans or basic trousers.

Denim shirt (Goodwill)- I honestly think you can’t go wrong with adding a denim shirt to your wardrobe as it’s perfect for spring, fall or even summer. I’ve worn this multiple times since adding it to my closet and even though the weather in my area can be unpredictable at times, I’ve found ways to make it work.

Grey t-shirt (Aerie & ThredUp)- There are three colors that make up the basics overall: white, black and grey. A lot of people like to talk about how white and black can look great on anybody and how those should be included in a capsule wardrobe, but I feel like grey in particular doesn’t get enough attention. I personally love how the color grey looks on me, so because of that, I don’t own as much black in my closet. So if you’re someone who’s trying to find more basic pieces but you don’t care for black as much as others do, then I do think grey is a good option to consider. There’s a lot you can do with that color as it’s versatile just like the other basics.

Striped t-shirt (ThredUp)- Wearing t-shirts can obviously be very comfortable and easy to throw on, but I personally think there’s a big difference between function and wearability when it comes to this one category of clothing. One thing I like I like about my striped tee is that while it’s very comfortable, it’s also stylish as you can either dress it up or down. Now of course, I still enjoy wearing t-shirts a lot in general, but I do think it’s best to keep your ratty ones at home and wear them at home while wearing your nicer ones out in public. No one wants to see a bunch of holes or stains in your clothing.

Beige tops (Kohl’s & ThredUp)- In my opinion, beige can be considered a basic color, but I do believe it to be a more seasonal option. I have both a sleeveless top and a long sleeve top in this color and I’ve gotten so much wear out of them within their appropriate seasons. The great thing about beige in general is while it’s versatile like the other basic colors, you can also play with color when working with this option. I personally love how beige and burnt orange look together, or even beige and red (darker reds in particular like burgundy or maroon).

No comments:

Post a Comment