11/26/2019

Minimalism and Mental Health (updated)

If I'm being honest, I think the biggest contributor to feeling productive as an introvert is having creative outlets; mine just happens to be more digital instead of something that's more traditional, like sewing, painting or making DIYs.

I've struggled with depression for quite a while last year, but I will say that compared to then, I feel like those moments of emptiness or no motivation have been reduced by half not just because of minimalism, but also because of certain habits I've implemented. It's still not easy though, feeling motivated enough to do certain things.



Adopting a more "minimalist" mindset is honestly something I've struggled with off and on this year, and because of that, there have been a couple instances where I started to feel depressed or discouraged. One has to have enough mental strength or courage to say, "this feeling or situation is not serving me" and just let it go. Some things in life may or may not be worth your energy, and while our emotions are temporary, the willingness to let go and move forward doesn't always stick with us.

Depression takes time. Anxiety takes time as well. It doesn't always to work to just say "you need to relax" or "you need to stop doing ___". I remember how difficult it was for me to get out of my depressive state in past years, and my coping mechanisms weren't the best back then either. Overeating (or not having a schedule for each meal), binge watching without breaks and staying up until 2 in the morning isn't healthy, and eventually, I realized that I needed for something to change. That tipping point however didn't seem to hit me until I was in my mid 20's.

None of us are perfect, and perfection is not obtainable. Yes, it's okay to have bad days, but what's not okay is having a bad attitude towards other people. It's okay if you don't feel good about yourself, and it's okay if you're not happy 24/7. Everyone's lives are different and the experiences we've faced are different, but what we should remember is that we're all human and we all experience the same feelings/emotions. Had I known these things 5 or 10 years ago, I probably would have tried a little harder to work on myself instead of worrying about other things I had little to no knowledge on.

No comments:

Post a Comment