12/03/2019

KonMari Method vs. Minimalism: Books

I know that for a lot people, books can be fun and/or educational. For me at least, it’s just a fun, occasional addition that I’ll dive into for an escape from reality. However, I’d say that my taste is starting to change a bit as I’m getting older. For this reason, I only have one NIcholas Sparks novel, two novels that YouTuber Joey Graceffa has written, a copy of A Darker Shade of Magic, and three Ted Dekker books. I also have a coffee table book for the complete Phantom of the Opera story and background plus one other novel that I picked up from a used book store a few years ago.

When it comes to decluttering books, Marie Kondo’s rules/suggestions are quite simple: pull out every single book you own, and if you don’t know where to start, start with one that’s an easy decision to make. Another question to consider is if each book will be beneficial to your life going forward. What I’ve noticed (in the Netflix series) is that before starting the process, she suggests “waking up” the books by just quickly placing a hand on each pile.

I think that there’s really no right or wrong way to declutter books just as long as you don’t go overboard with the process. With minimalism, you tend to create your own rules as you go, or you can modify other people’s suggestions to have it work for you personally. So if you want to start small and just do one shelf per day, you can totally do that. If you want to set aside an entire day however and do it KonMari style, then that’s fine as well. Whatever approach you take will give you the same results.

My hope with this 4-part series I’ll be writing is that it’ll give you the motivation to either keep going if you’re struggling, or to give you that first push if you haven’t started yet. And while I realize that most if not all of us live busy lives, I do believe that we should try aiming not for perfection, but just a more ideal solution that allows us to feel at peace when we come home after a long day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment